23 November 2009

Eating Bambi

We've had this 6 lb. venison roast in the freezer for over a year. My father-in-law gave it to us last year after he felled a deer. So after getting fed up with it taking up so much valuable freezer space I decided to thaw it out and cook it up. I searched the internet extensively and finally settled on this recipe. After reading the user reviews I made the following changes: I used garlic powder instead of garlic salt, I used reduced sodium soy sauce, and I also only used half the packet of onion soup mix. I also added:

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 mediums onions sliced
6 red potatoes quartered
two handfuls of baby carrots

I sliced the roast in half and threw it in the cooker with everything else. I set it to low and let it go for just over 8 hours. Nikki got home and we made up some salads and then spooned out our venison in bowls topped with freshly cracked black pepper. I don't know how some reviews claimed this dried out the roast, mine had soooo much gravy. It was damn good. Damn good. The changes I made resulted in a perfect level of salt. Yum. I consider my first attempt at venison most certainly a success. The only thing that could've made the meal better is a nice loaf of crusty bread with butter. But Nikki forgot to pick it up on her way home from work. The story of my life...

Other Similar Ramblings



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment